Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Eurovision preview part 3 - Iceland

Jóhanna Guðrún Jónsdóttir
Is it true


"Falling out of a perfect dream
Coming out of the blue
Is it true? Is it true?
Is it over?
Did I throw it away?"


Anguish about the collapse of the Icelandic banking system cunningly disguised as a love song.

Having listened to this some more, I'll have to slightly revise what I said previously - it's now my firm favourite of the songs selected so far (not that I've remotely gone off Andorra, you understand). It's not desperately original, and at first it sounds pleasant but unspectacular, but it's one of those songs that really gets under your skin after a second or third listen. Can it win? Songs as gentle as this don't have a fantastic track record of winning outright - in the last twenty years I think the only ones have been Rock'n'Roll Kids and Fly on the Wings of Love (both of which had more of an obvious gimmick than this song), and In Your Eyes (which had a bigger, almost screechy finish). So I wouldn't bet my house on it, but if there's any justice in the world there might just be celebrations rather than economic riots on the streets of Reykjavik in May.

2 comments:

  1. Euro Vision, agrr i hate it, and i cant stand Terry Wombat. He is so patronising and has turned into such a little BritNat, hard to believe he is actually Irish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt you'll consider this an improvement, AMW, but he's being replaced by Graham Norton this year.

    ReplyDelete