Thursday, May 12, 2011

Eurovision 2011 prediction : Thursday's semi-final

NOTE : I'm reposting this (backdated) because it vanished when Blogger was down.

The big news from the rehearsals for the second semi-final is that two of the early favourites to win the contest outright, Estonia and Sweden, may be struggling to even qualify for the final. Having watched the performances on YouTube, I must say I can't really see what the problem is - Estonia in particular looks and sounds near-enough identical to the national final performance that won so many plaudits. But of course that may not be the best guide - the sound quality on the YouTube videos isn't great, and you're only seeing the performance from one fixed shot. Nevertheless, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that I still expect both to make it through, although clearly I'm going to have to revise my prediction from a few weeks ago that Estonia were heading for victory!

So to my full prediction for tonight. I had ten countries pencilled in, but then I realised that I'd left Moldova out by mistake - and they're surely likely to make the cut courtesy of an insane visual performance featuring Ku Klux Klan hats (well, not really, but if you can imagine black Ku Klux Klan hats you get the idea) plus a random fairy riding a unicycle. I've had to strike Ukraine off my original list as a result, although I'm not entirely sure about that, if only because they have one of the most stunning backdrops. Anyway, this is what I'm left with...

Estonia
Sweden
Ireland
Cyprus
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Denmark
Austria
Romania
Moldova
Slovenia


So, yes, I'm predicting that Jedward will make the final, and terrifyingly the consensus seems to be that they're absolutely storming through.

No comments:

Post a Comment